December 1992 – Present:
PRESIDENT, John E. McGovern & Associates, P.C., Certified Public Accountant.
Mr. McGovern’s firm specializes in Tax Compliance, Financial Reporting, Financial Planning, Business Valuations, Management Advisory Services including business formations, banking relations, software installations and Litigation Support Services. Mr. McGovern represents many closely held businesses, individuals and non-for-profit concerns. McGovern & Associates, P.C. has substantial expertise in closely held businesses in various industries including healthcare, real estate, non-profit, hospitality, high tech software, light manufacturing and service industries. McGovern & Associates, P.C. annually prepares in excess of 2,000 individual returns and over 600 Partnerships, Limited Liability Corporations, S Corporations, C Corporations, business returns and non-profit returns. The firm also prepares payroll returns and provides bookkeeping services for businesses. We have a staff of 12 people.
July 1984 – December 1992
MANAGER, Schiffman Hughes Brown P.C., Certified Public Accountants.
As Part of Mr. McGovern’s duties he was the in charge accountant for many healthcare and private industry engagements and he worked in the firm’s litigation support division and wrote many expert witness reports and business valuations.
July 1982 – July 1984
ACCOUNTANT for Child Health Associates of Temple University School of Medicine.
Child Health Associates physicians staff St. Christopher’s Hospital located in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
TESTIMONY AND REPRESENTATION
Qualified as an expert witness for various financial disputes for common pleas courts of Berks, Chester, Montgomery, and Philadelphia counties.
Mr. McGovern has represented taxpayers for Internal Revenue Service examinations and other state and local audits.
PROFESSIONAL AFFILIATIONS AND ACTIVITIES
- Member of Pennsylvania Institute of Certified Public Accountants (PICPA).
- Member of American Institute of Certified Public Accountants (AICPA).
- Member of Small Business Committee for the Pennsylvania Institute of Certified Public Accountants.
- General Partner of Ridge Village, LLC, Green Ridge Ventures, LLC Real Estate Rental and Development Concern, a Commercial Strip Mall and Residential Housing Complex in Roxborough Section of Philadelphia.
- General Partner, Steppingstone Properties, real estate rental, management and development concern.
- General Partner, All Seasons Car Wash and Lube, LLC.
- Past Member of Medical Group Management Association (MGMA).
- Member of Speakers Bureau for the Pennsylvania Institute of Certified Public Accountants.
- Member and Accountant for Manayunk Development Corporation.
- Accountant for Roxborough Development Corporation, North Light Community Center, Transitional Work Corporation, East Passyunk Business Improvement District, Spring Garden Community Development Corporation, Awbury Arboretum, Germantown Historical Society and various homeowners associations.
- Former Director, East River Bank, Chairman of Audit Committee, (Customer deposits in excess of $200,000,000). Successfully assisted in bank sale in 2016 to DNB Bank.
- Chairman of Board of Directors and Past Treasurer, Intercommunity Action, Inc., $150 Million Non Profit assisting people with developmental disabilities, dependency and aging issues. www.intercommunityaction.org
- Board of Director Member of Gloria Dei communities a 7 community non-profit organization that provides independent and assisted living that provides quality affordable community living meeting the fulfillment of its mature residents' needs. www.gloriadeicommunities.com
- Past Treasurer for a campaign for City of Philadelphia Controller.
- Member of QuickBooks Professional Advisors Program.
- Philadelphia Eagle’s season ticketholder since 1987.
- Member of Philadelphia Racquet Club.
- Member of Greate Bay Golf Club.
- Donor Philadelphia Mural Program, World on a Turtle
- Member Atlantic City Country Club
- Member & Contributor Salvation Army KROC Center
EDUCATION, CERTIFICATIONS AND OTHER QUALIFCATIONS
- Certified Public Accountant licensed by the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, November 1985.
- Bachelor of Science in Accounting, The Pennsylvania State University, May 1982.
- Master of Science in Taxation, Philadelphia University (Formerly Philadelphia College of Textiles and Science), May 2003.
- Attended in excess of forty (40) hours per year, since 1985, of Continuing Professional Education Training Conferences sponsored by the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants and The Pennsylvania Institute of Certified Public Accountants.
- Lectured at seminars on various accounting topics.
- Contributing author for the Pennsylvania Institute of Certified Public Accountants.
- Appeared before various local governments and non-profit organizations concerning accounting matters.
- Mr. McGovern’s firm has been participating in the AICPA and PICPA Peer Review Program since inception and the firm successfully passed all Peer Review examinations including its latest in October 2017; next Peer Review is scheduled for September 2020.
- McGovern & Associates, P.C. are specialists in computer installation featuring QuickBooks, QuickBooks Online and Microsoft Office Products.
- Mr. McGovern presented Councilman Nutter and the Philadelphia Tax Reform Commission with a detailed analysis regarding needed Philadelphia Tax Reforms.